Monday, November 24, 2008

Boy was I WRONG About Last Week

Daniel, feeling much better after his first bout with an ear infection, practices levatating a plastic cup.


Last week was SO not sick week. Daniel didn't respond to the first course of antibiotics. So, he ran fevers up to 103.5 from Friday until very early Tuesday morning. He also didn't care for the doctor's second choice and threw them up. The third one did the trick though. After he spiked the 103.5, the fever broke and he traded being hot for being sleepy and not hungry. He got his energy back Thursday and his appetite back today. As of Friday, he had lost a whole pound from his last wellness visit.

In addition to that, I developed symptoms of the same upper respiratory infection that all but two of Daniel's classmates had the week before last. While Daniel suffered from his ear infection, I coughed uselessly until I vomited. That doesn't even describe these attacks I've been having. Each comes on suddenly, with a feeling like a spider crawling across one of my tonsils. Then my esophagus tightens up, my diaphragm tries to eject both lungs from my chest repeatedly, and by the time the attack is over, the weak side of jaw is so swollen I can't open my mouth more than an inch. I need Cepacol spray and an albuterol inhaler...taken in rapid succession...to calm down enough to catch my breath. I'm now finally coughing not so uselessly, but twelve days later, I'm still having these coughing attacks at night.

A few times during the past 5 weeks I've felt like I was about to run out of rope, only to find another foot miraculously available when i needed it. But honestly, I'm too grateful we're all almost healthy again to be amazed in hindsight.

Daniel and his best friend, Sugar

1 comment:

Robbie and Barb's Family said...

Not fun! Sick kids are so sad... Glad you guys are getting better!