Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Sick Week Part Three

Yeah...I don't think I'm quite done sleeping, yet.



I have been assured that he will get better.

The camera was actually kind here. You see just a little blush on his cheeks to either side of his lips. Up close and personal, this looks like a rash. I'd have called the doctor if it weren't for the fact that it matches the raw skin under his nose. It's been running like a faucet for the past three days. And this time, it's been the really wet, runny acid snot. The blush I'm pretty sure happened because he sleeps in probably the LEAST conducive way to drain the fluid that hanging out in his middle ear...knees tucked under his tummy, tush in the air, face flat on the mattress. And then he turns his head from side to side. Acid snot + head turning = handlebar mustache shaped rash-looking blush.

His eyelids also look redder in person.

Poor buddy bear was recovering. Doctor saw him last Wednesday morning, gave us a prescription for thrush, took a look at his ears and throat and sent us our way. Then Friday, he threw up breakfast and dinner. We gave him formula only on Saturday and he kept that down, so on Sunday, I tried giving him breakfast. Came right back up.

Monday, we went to the doctor for his second flu shot, mentioned that he's been unhappy and had run a fever. Nurse had us change examination rooms, put away the shot, and fetched the doctor. After many minutes of fighting with squirmy, pissed off baby, the doctor told us that his ear infection was back and we'd have to try the antibiotic that Daniel threw up last week. Else, we'd have to do 3 shots on 3 consecutive days, and he preferred to try it this way first. The bright side...we could stop giving him the thrush medicine. But...since he's on anti-biotics, we might be back to giving it to him next week.

Our poor little boy is now on antibiotics for the ear infection, tylenol for the fever, benadryl for the runny nose, Vigamox drops for the pink eye infection (Yes, that's back too, and speaking of which, it's time for those), and an antibacterial cream for the red acid-snot burned upper lip. Oh my Hell.

But, he's sleeping. A LOT. And two weeks ago, when we did this the first time, he slept A LOT right before he brightened up and started smiling again. So, I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll have our baby back before bedtime (crossing my fingers and praying to any and every deity that might be listening). Well...almost. He does apparently have a cold (or RSV), so I'm resigned to the reality that the runny nose and coughing will be around for a while.

No comments: