Saturday, September 29, 2007

Baby Shopping

After speculating on the oddly pathetic performance of the LSU Tigers in the Superdome this afternoon, Rob and I met the Whitneys at BabysRUs. They were looking for a car seat for baby on the way, their third. We had plans to bring home a crib and a dresser. But the store didn't have them in stock. As it turns out, BabysRUs only stocks their smaller cribs. The larger convertible ones take up too much space and thus they only keep the floor models. So, we ordered the crib and the dresser and should have it home in the next two weeks.

Just maybe we'll have the room painted by then...

Also, I think the bedding we liked has been discontinued. So, I'm starting to look for something similar.

I started looking at baby clothes today. I know that the sizes on the tags, although they go by "months", will probably be little help in determining what to buy. My mother recommends starting with 3-6 months, to not even bother with smaller. Melissa has offered me the use of her baby cloths as her son Jameson will have long since outgrown them by the time Daniel is born.

Jameson is going on...2 months old?!? Oh my god.

So anyway, after we left BabysRUs, we all went to Target and while I was looking at the isles of cute stuff that a baby might wear for 10 minutes before growing out of, it occurred to me that there are two industries that have grown on the emotions of women. The first, of course, is wedding stuff. The second is baby stuff.

I spent eight years in college studying the whatever-you-call-it of marketing. And I'm still susceptible to it. So, I'll tell you now that "cute only goes so far"...but we'll see what happens when I can bring home cute stuff from Wal-Mart and put it right on the baby.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jameson is still in the 0-3 month clothes. Although I wouldn't recommend spending a ton on that age of clothes, the onesies are the best. I don't think Jameson has worn anything except onesies. It will be January though... I have no idea how to dress a baby for the not so cold Louisiana winters.

Anonymous said...

I'd at least get like 7 outfits...I thought Kaylin would be 7.8 lb like her brother was...but, the peanut could wear preemie stuff for a couple of weeks. Unless you feel like looking at Daniel in clothes that are WAY too big for him...get at least a couple of smaller sized outfits that'll fit. hehehe