Monday, September 17, 2007

Painting the Nursery, Part 1

Rob and I were at IHOP on Sunday and he says, "Let's paint the nursery." So we went to Home Depot across the street. While there we called the emergency oncall doctor at my clinic to find out if it was safe. While waiting, we called our friend Michele, who is a nurse, pregnant, and was varnishing furniture at the time we called. She said that paint fumes weren't a concern. A few minutes later, the oncall doctor called me back and told me to stay off of ladders and maybe wear a mask so I wouldn't get nauseous. With new confidence we brought home pastel paint and supplies.

(Funny thing: blue is perhaps our least favorite color for a wall. How many rooms have we committed to painting after 3 1/2 years? Two. What color did we paint the garage? Blue. And what color are we painting the nursery...you got it.)

While Rob did some touch-up painting in the office and hallway, I cleared Daniel's room of accumulated stuff, dusted the baseboards, walls and doors, then taped off the baseboards, door frames and window. Room is ready to paint!

Right that very moment, (and I'm not exaggerating. I mean right freakin' then), as I stood up from sticking the last piece of tape to the doorframe, I hear Rob scream in the bathroom. I barge in and find Rob standing there with his laptop computer in one hand and the hose to the toilet tank assembly in the other. There is water all over the floor and walls from having shot out of the side of the toilet tank.

Long story short, we have to replace the tank assembly and the shut-off valve. But the pressing concern yesterday were the two little bolts that hold the tank to the toilet. The washers had rotted and they were no longer sealing and they started leaking at the same moment the tank assembly hose decided to spray water all over the bathroom.

What we've learned: The warning on the box of 2000 Flushes that the toilet should be flushed on a regular basis...yeah, that's there for a reason.

But alas, that was yesterday. Daniel's room is still taped off. And the walls, for the moment, are still flat beige.

No comments: