
On Saturday, we learned important information about digital thermometers.
Taking a baby's temperature with three digital thermometers is a bad idea. It can lead to wildly different readings, which can lead to a 2:30 am call to the pediatrician, who may then insist that you take baby to pediatric ER twenty miles from home, which will then lead to 2 hours in said ER waiting for doctor to release you because baby's temperature is actually normal. Meanwhile, it becomes clear that said baby was only fussy because he had to poop, and you know this because after the exam that was interrupted by him pooping, he goes right to sleep. And pretty much stays asleep for the rest of the night.
It's a good idea to have one thermometer that you know works. Oh, it's also a good idea to calm baby down before taking temperature, because pissed off babies can scare thermometers into giving up a number over 100.
Oh...and the temperature you call the pediatrician for at 2:30 am is over 100.4...not over 100, like I thought. (The doctor was very cool not to point that out.)
On Sunday we learned how differently we're wired.
Rob wakes up for smoke alarms, but not for fussy baby.
Wendy wakes up for fussy baby, but not for smoke alarms.
On Monday we learned a secret of marathon crying.

It doesn't matter that you changed the baby 30 seconds ago, (and yes, I do mean literally 30 seconds ago), he's wet. Daniel is routinely wetting 4-5 diapers in a half-hour period. It happens about twice per day. And if he's crying like he's wet, but his diaper's still dry...just wait for it. He'll be wet in 30 seconds, (and yes, I do mean literally 30 seconds.)
On Wednesday we learned another secret of marathon crying.
He cried off an on for several hours. We kept checking his diaper, changing them as often as he we them, but he still wasn't happy. Feeding him bought us an hour or so, and then he started crying again. We checked his diapers, changed them when they were wet. He'd cry, then stop, then cry some more. We started ignoring the clock and feeding him whenever he started this type of crying. He's eating 4 oz every 2-3 hours instead of 3 every 3-4. It turns out, he's in a growth spurt. He's going to eat like this for a few days, then mellow out for a while.
On Thursday we learned about the sleep needs of babies.

They sleep when they want to...and every single day will be different.
On Friday, we learned a secret about poopy diapers.
After a few projectile pooping episodes, we've decided to try and wait a few minutes to see if he was really done before changing his diaper. Well, after what I just saw...I think I might actually prefer it just squirting out in my direction. (It really can get EVERYWHERE.)

3 comments:
I've been there. I have never seen poop fly like that. It got all over the wall, the changing table, her, me, everywhere! Crazy...
Happy One Month Birthday Daniel! :)
I'm laughing...because I remember one night when Kaylin was little. It was in the middle of the night, and I was changing her on our bed, before I fed her. As I go to lift her legs up to wipe her...she poops, all over me & our down comforter. Manny was dead asleep...but the sound of that explosion woke him up. It was a crazy, yucky, hysterically funny story that I'm going to love using to embarass her someday!
Happy Birthday little man! You are so cute?
That is a very cute picture of Daniel and Rob. Your blogs crack me up because it brings back memories. Plus I am glad someone else is experiencing it.
Post a Comment