
Perl doesn't like it when Daniel lays like this. It makes it almost impossible for her to creep up my chest and nuzzle my neck.
Rob went back to work on Monday, and I really misses having the extra set of hands around. When Daniel's awake, he's either fussy or inquisitive, requiring Mommy's attention either way. When he's asleep, he's so warm and precious, Mommy doesn't want to put him down. Ironically...and I give my mother credit for getting me started while she was here...but I'm doing better at housework than at any other time in my life. I wash at least two loads of laundry per day. I wash dishes twice per day. I'm sweeping floors and collecting garbage daily. This morning, I made the bed, collected the trash, gathered the next load of laundry, and showered all before 6:15 am. And I'm finding that I even kind of enjoy being domestic...which completely amazes me.
But I'm beginning to figure out that when I have a moment, (ie. when Daniel is asleep like he is now), its a good idea to eat before doing chores, because I swear...every time I sit down to eat, he starts fussing. :)
Daniel had his 2-week check-up on Monday and he got his first vaccination. He now weighs 8 lbs 6 ounces, and is 21 inches long. The doctor says "he looks perfect."
I had my first post-partum appointment on Wednesday. It was an annoying office experience. They were running behind and we were kept waiting more than half an hour past my scheduled time. Daniel got fussy in the waiting room and required two diaper changes before the nurse came for me. Thankfully, Rob met up with me at the clinic and he was there to keep him calm while I waited to see my doctor. I learned that a weird sensation I've been having is perfectly normal and will go away in a few more weeks. I also had my first weigh-in since giving birth...I'm 9 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight. It means I can wear my jeans (yeah) but not my rings (dammit).
***
THING I'VE LEARNED THIS WEEK
Nothing belongs where you think it should.
Before we brought Daniel home, I had his clothes and diapering supplies in his bedroom and I had his bath towels in the bathroom. Uh...this is totally wrong.
First of all, he's not sleeping in his room right now; he's sleeping in ours. So, 99% of his diaper changes are taking place in our room. So, now, my bedside table is Daniel's dresser, holding clothes, blankets, diapers, and pads for the playard's bassinet and changing table.
Second, his last three baths have been a result of diaper changes gone awry. With all of his towels in the main bathroom, I've had to carrying him from our room to the bathroom wrapped in a blanket, which then ends up in the laundry.
Simple is Better
I made a decision 14 years ago that when I had a child, I would use Playtex nursers. My aunt used them with her kids and when I was their nanny for Summer 1993, I loved them. Easy to use, easy to clean, and convenient to travel with. Rob and I got them for Daniel. And we also got Dr. Browns and Born Free. The latter two both have sophisticated air/vacuum reduction systems designed to reduce colic. The Playtex Nurser is a shell with a bag that collapses as the baby drinks, also reducing air and vacuum problems.
Last week, Rob spent multiple nights patting Daniel's back like a drum for half and hour as the baby would belch six to eight times before finding misery in something else, like a wet diaper or weariness. This week, we used the nursers exclusively, and you know...he still has gas, and he still fusses, but we haven't had the serial belching since we stopped using those expensive bottles.
Wipes Warmers aren't Frivolous
Daniel doesn't like being wet or cold. (Duh...who does, right?) Well, knowing this, we understood why he cried through diaper changes. I've been seeing wipes warmers and thought it was a good idea. I don't know why I didn't pick one up. Anyway, yesterday, while I was using my breast pump, I wiped my breast with one of the wet wipes. Oh My GOD! I wanted to cry the thing was so freaking cold. Rob bought a wipe warmer yesterday and I used the first warm wipes this morning. Two diaper changes in half an hour, one wet, one dirty.
Daniel barely blinked.
1 comment:
He is such a precious little boy. You sound so happy, and you deserve to be.
Post a Comment