Friday, February 29, 2008

5 Weeks Old

So this is how it starts. Daniel is sleeping in his swing. You can see that he's sitting crooked, (how on earth do babies sleep like that?). Anyhow, he wasn't like that when I put him in there. I tried to fix the problem without waking him up, but that didn't work. It was time to eat anyway.

So we had a bottle and read a little of Stephen King's "The Eyes of the Dragon". (It's a fable about a prince who uses his mother's dollhouse and advice to always use his napkin to shawshank his way out of the tower he's imprisoned in.)



Onesie change #1 (see next picture) results from poopy diaper. He had pooped only a little while he was sleeping, so some of it was stubborn coming off. I wasn't able to get him cleaned up fast enough to avoid the sprinkler. Afterwards, he still appeared hungry, so I fed him another 2 oz. (That's a total of 6.)

Later, he gets a little fussy, so I check diaper and it's wet.

Two seconds?!? You expect me to...


I have thought of a way to punish you.


Just after I put on this clean diaper, I hear a noise that is definitely not a fart. I get another diaper, clean him up again, and I wait. And I wait. I wait a little more and then I throw the dirty diaper and used wipes away.

As the diaper drops into the wastebasket...I see this face.


And there's a lot more where that comes from bitches.


Do you still love me, Mommy.


Yes I do, Daniel.


Right now, he's lying in my lap looking very cute. Unfortunately, he's too close to take a photograph with Rob's camera...the body and lens together are about 8 inches, so all I'd get is a blurry picture of his nose.

Things are going better than they were earlier this week. I'm still oddly emotional, but I'm no longer going insane with the cleaning...just dishes and laundry, now. (Sleep, by the way, is a REALLY important thing.) Rob's fever has broken. And we're hopeful that life will be back to normal in a few days.

(Oh, and I thank everyone for their comforting words this week, as well as for the advice that I shouldn't concern myself quite so much with illnesses. And just so you know, Rob and I don't plan to keep Daniel from ever getting sick. We just didn't want his very first bug to be THIS one.)

Onsie Change #2 was the result of a spit-up during the diaper change described above. Remember that 6 oz I said he drank. Yeah, well, I thought that was too much...but he did seem hungry. But at least now we know it actually is too much.

Daniel has started to laugh a little but it's just so hard to catch. This is the closest I've been able to get.

No comments: