Thursday, May 15, 2008

A Good Day to Stay Home and Play

Doppler projection of the storm cell coming at us. All those little white marks are lighting strikes. I think they said we've gotten more than 2000 strikes.

It's a huge storm. We're under a flash flood watch. We're also under a blanket tornado watch that extends across Louisiana and Mississippi until 11 am.

They've closed all the schools in Livingston Parish. It's not hard to understand why...even if not for the rain coming. When I got home yesterday, I had to drive through a foot of water to get into the subdivision. And there was a box truck stuck in one of the ditches I couldn't see. It was almost on its side and at least 3 feet into the water with it's driver stuck in the cab. The police were there and the guy was smiling, but still. There are 50,000 people in the area without power. (We're not one of them...yet). There are traffic lights out, downed trees on the streets and interstates. Flooded streets, stalled cars, accidents.

When I was in church, they used to call it the "still small voice." And today, it's saying "stay home and play."

No comments: