Friday, March 28, 2008

Nine Weeks Old

Uh...I can't even look at you right now.


I tried my best, but I failed to get Daniel from his swing into his car seat without waking him up. Actually, for as pissed off as he looks, it's a vast improvement on his mood from a minute earlier. He threw a fit leaving the house, then again in the car before we left. I thought we'd have to go back in and have a bottle before leaving, but just as I thought it, he calmed down. He was asleep before we got out of the neighborhood. But in hindsight, I probably could have waited until after his nap to go to the post office. So I deserve the face he gave me.

This week we spent the afternoon with Tim and April's family for an Easter BBQ. Rob played with a paint gun while Daniel and I watched episodes of the Waltons with Tim's dad. Monday was fairly uneventful, but Daniel has had some sort of bowel movement with nearly every diaper change since Tuesday. Wednesday morning I drug the office's oncall doctor out of bed after midnight to say that my son's entire last feeding gushed out of his mouth during a diaper change. His remedy...12 hours of pedialyte. But, he didn't vomit again and the pooping stopped for most of the next day due to lack of necessary resources. Thursday, the pooping started again, but I the consistency improved. He's sleeping well, eating well, and he's even mostly happy. The nurse told me what to look out for and to call if there was a change.

Today, the umpteeth diaper had a change that I considered undesirable. And wouldn't you know it, the doctor's office's computer system went down (and their digital phones along with them). All I got from them for several minutes was a busy signal. I called Alicia to ask if I should be concerned about what I saw, she said I should call my doctor, to let them know if nothing else. I tried Doctor's office again for several more minutes before calling Rob and discussing a drive into the Doctor's office. The nurses confirmed the phone problem. The doctor agreed with Alicia, that it was no big deal, and told Rob and I about an ointment that would help. But to cover the bases, he's also having samples cultured to test for infection (meaning that even if the phones were working, we still would have had to go into the office), and we're switching him to a hypoallergenic formula for a week to check for a possible milk allergy. Rob, Alicia, and I are doubting allergy because for eight weeks, the only problem he had was gas.

Daniel's 2-month doctor's visit will have to be rescheduled for at least next Thursday, meaning that I may have to push back the nursery visits at the day care to the beginning of the week after that, also meaning that I may have to push my return to work to April 9th. I've been out for 11 weeks, what's another two days, right?

We meet Ms. Crystal, who will be Daniel's teacher, tomorrow. She'll be able to tell us more about the office visits and whether we can do them before Daniel has his vaccinations.

Oh, and I have another video...but blogger is having issues with the upload. I may have to cut it shorter. Or shoot another video.

No comments: